Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Johnny Wander


To say I like web comics is an understatement. As a matter of complete fact, the majority of the bookmarks on my tool bar are web comics. I've even had to shorten them to initials just to get as many as I can to fit. I check them daily, even though they have set update days. JW, or Johnny Wander, is one of my absolute favourites. Even though it only updates Tuesdays and Thursdays, I check and reread it every day.

Johnny Wander is a biopic web comic illustrated bu Yuko Ota and written by Ananth Panagariya (Who also does the writing for Apple Geeks). It picks odd moments out of their lives as they live in an apartment with long time friends who also work in the industry of art, comics, web design, and video games, with some fictional stories mixed in as well. Johnny Wander has been in action a little over a year now, and has already inspired other comics, fan art, and a song.

Yuko's illustrations are one of my sources of admiration. She has an excellent command of line and tone. Her cartoon style is reminiscent of Brian Lee O'Malley and Jeff Smith, and her colour works command the force of Mucha. She has an incredible knack for portraying story through image, making Johnny Wander a charming and lovely (Not to mention comical) addition to any bookmark toolbar.

1 comment:

  1. I headed over to the Johnny Wander blog after reading this and 1. I'll probably be bookmarking this as well so thanks for sharing and 2. I thought it was interesting how the artist uses a halftone screen on the characters and oftentimes the background. It's a very interesting approach to something not necessarily found in print but exclusively to the web. Very Roy Lichtenstein-esque.

    ReplyDelete